At St Vincent’s Private Hospital Brisbane we know how persistent pain can change your life.
Persistent pain can affect your mood and memory; your ability to enjoy life; to do part or full time work; to participate in sport; to socialise; to concentrate at school or university; and can impact your relationships with your family and friends. Understanding how your body responds to persistent pain can improve your ability to cope and feel more in control.
We offer programs and services that can help you understand and manage your pain.
Our pain management team are an experienced and highly qualified team of health care professionals.
Our team includes pain medicine physicians, rehabilitation medicine physicians, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, social workers, dieticians and nurses.
Our pain management services and programs adopt a wellness and self-management approach to help you manage your pain and lead a fulfilling and healthy life.
Our aim is to help you:
- Improve awareness and understanding of persistent pain
- Develop practical and effective strategies to manage pain
- Develop goals and a personalised pain management plan
- Understand how to manage your pain medication
- Demonstrate the role of physical activity in managing pain
- Improve your ability to manage pain flare-ups
- Improve your confidence in managing pain
- Understand pain coping skills
- Reduce stress, anxiety and depression
- Improve the quality of your sleep
- Gain self-confidence, resilience and assertiveness
- Improve communication and problem-solving
- Improve relationships with family and friends
- Reduce reliance on health services
We understand that everyone is different. We provide personalised support and we are available to help at every step of the way.
Our pain management programs are tailored for people in groups of up to ten participants; where everyone understands the challenges of living with persistent pain. Our programs are suitable for people from 14 years. Before you start a pain management program, the team will work with you to understand your goals and develop a personalised plan to achieve them. Your plan will include physical, social and learning activities.
Maintaining physical, mental and social activity is important. Pain management programs may include physiotherapy, occupational therapy, exercise and strength training, educations sessions, psychological support, social support, relaxation and stress management, cognitive behaviour therapy, Tai Chi, hydrotherapy, medication management, and sleep management.
Our goal is to help you reduce or eliminate your pain. We focus on finding the right approach for you.
For more information about our pain management services, referral and eligibility, call (07) 3240 1395 or provide your details below and we will contact you.